The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, hereinafter referred to as AACOM, respects the privacy of its members and other visitors to its Web site.
AACOM strongly believes that if electronic commerce and online activities are to flourish, consumers must be assured that information provided online is used responsibly and appropriately. To protect your online privacy, AACOM has implemented the following policy:
By visiting the AACOM website at http://www.aacom.org, or AACOM’s advocacy websites at http://cqrcengage.com/aacom and http://www.edtomed.com, you are accepting the practices described in this privacy notice.
What Information Does AACOM Collect
1. AACOM collects two main types of information through the websites noted above:Aggregate Data: AACOM collects aggregate data (information and data that does not include personally identifiable information) based on all public visits to, and browsing of, the websites including
- the total number of website visits
- number of unique visitors
- number of unique page visits or files downloaded
- search terms used
- average duration of visit
- type of internet browser used to access the website (e.g., Safari)
- domain name of Internet Service Providers used to access the website (e,g., AOL)
- operating systems visitors use to access the website (e.g., Microsoft Windows)
Normally, web servers collect this type of basic information automatically as part of their web log processes.
Aggregate data are used for technical, design, and marketing purposes to better manage our systems and serve our audience, and do not provide any personally identifiable information.
2. Personally Identifiable Information: There are instances when AACOM collects personally identifiable information from its website users, usually through online forms, so they may gain access to members-only resources and personalization features on AACOM’s websites or apply to AACOM programs. The following are examples of situations in which we might request such information from you:
- contacting us to request information or technical support
- inquiring about volunteer activities
- applying to AACOM scholarships/grants or applying to AACOM member communities or societies
- subscribing to one of our electronic newsletters or Advocacy Alerts,
- purchasing a product or registering for an event
- making a donation
- using our online advocacy portals to email your federal and state representatives
Information we may request includes, but is not limited to:
- first name and last name
- academic credentials
- professional category (such as faculty, administrator, or student)
- organization name and address
- business phone
- home address and zip code in order to identify your local legislative representatives for advocacy purposes
Additionally, for some emails sent to recipients in HTML format by AACOM, such as its electronic newsletters, advocacy information, or alert emails, we will collect specific information regarding what the recipient does with that email. AACOM only uses this information to enhance its products and distribution of those products to its members and email recipients. For those emails, information collected through this tracking feature includes data such as:
- whether a recipient subsequently clicks through to links provided in the message
- the email address of a user
- the date and time of the user’s “click”
- name of the list from which the message was sent
- tracking URL number and destination page
How Does AACOM Use Data Collected?
AACOM may use information collected in the following ways:
AACOM Member Services and Products: Generally, AACOM and its direct partners use data collected to improve its own web content; to respond to visitors’ interests, needs, and preferences; and to develop new products and services.
Disclosures to Partner Sites: AACOM also makes member contact information available through the AACOMmunities to other members logged into the AACOMmunities website and to those who register for its conferences via an attendee roster.
On occasion, AACOM may also provide limited data to third parties that offer products and services. The data may include names, job titles, companies, and business addresses, but do not include business phone numbers, business fax numbers, or e-mail addresses.
Users may request AACOM refrain from disclosing the data it collects to third parties on the membership application form, conference registration form, or any other form on which they are providing information—an opt-out box will appear on each form on which a user provides information. Alternatively, users may contact AACOM at firstname.lastname@example.org to express their preferences if they determine later that they do not wish to have the information shared.
Consent to Use Personal Information: For the purposes of the Data Protection Act(s) 1984 and 1998 (as applicable), AACOM or its agents must store, host, and otherwise process the information (including personal data) supplied by the user when applying for membership of this Association or conducting any transaction with the Association, including product purchases and meeting registrations.
Credit Card Account Information: AACOM does not disclose credit card account information provided by its members and customers. When members and customers choose to pay using their credit cards, AACOM submits the information needed to obtain payment to the appropriate financial institutions for the purpose of the intended transaction.
When a user registers, the system will ask whether the user approves of the creation of a cookie. Depending on the type of browser you use, you can probably set it to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to accept or reject it. Registration enables the site to better determine members’ interest areas and provide the most relevant information; disabling cookies may prevent you from taking advantage of the full benefits and features on the websites. Please note that our system may not respond to some or all Do Not Track requests.
What Privacy Issues Arise with Links to Other Sites?
This website contains links that lead to other websites. AACOM has no control over and is not responsible for the privacy policies or content of such sites.
This Website is not directed toward children under 13 years of age nor does AACOM knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not submit any personally identifiable information to AACOM.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we strive to maintain physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards to secure the information we collect online. This includes the use of the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for processing purchases and donations securely; however, no transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about information we disclose to third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please contact us at the address listed below.
Please contact AACOM with any questions or concerns regarding this policy or your information.
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Lindsey Jurd, Senior Editor